The Headmaster and Senior Housemaster of Ghana Senior High School in Tamale have been ordered by the Ghana Education Service (GES) to resign in order to facilitate investigations into a viral video that depicts some students utilizing restroom cubicles as dorms.
The film purports to show Ghanasco’s struggles with the government’s flagship Free SHS Program.
The Tamale-based SHS should rather have additional capacity to accommodate 300 extra pupils as it fell short of its enrollment target, according to GES, which characterizes the footage as “very disturbing and unfortunate”.
In a statement to the media, Cassandra Twum Ampofo, the head of the GES Public Relations Unit, said, “This is very troubling and unfortunate, especially when records available to us indicate that, out of the 1790 vacancies declared by the school, only 1467 students have enrolled.”
“The school should have enough space to accommodate an additional 300 kids. Therefore, having pupils sleep in such a location is undesirable.
The director of education for the northern region has been tasked with looking into the situation and reporting back in two weeks.
“Management wishes to reassure all of our stakeholders and the public that it will continue to ensure that the students entrusted to our care operate in a safe school environment.”
NSS instructor detained for allegedly defiling three of his students
A 24-year-old National Service Member at Sehwi Asawinso Methodist Primary B has been remanded by the Bibiani Circuit Court to three weeks in police prison for allegedly defiling three students in the Sehwi Wiawso Municipality of the Western North Region.
The three victims’ Class 2 teacher, Bismark Ansu, is the defendant.
According to sources, he held extra classes for his students in his home in January of this year without informing the school administration, claiming that he needed to finish the academic year’s curriculum.
However, Bismark Ansu used the extra classes to entice three of the students, who are between the ages of eight and nine, to engage in sexual activity.
If they revealed their ordeal to anybody, he threatened to murder them.
After a few weeks had passed after the alleged sexual assault, the victims’ parents began seeing unusual blood flows from their daughters’ private areas. When questioned about this, they admitted to the incident.
The allegations of defilement were supported by a report to the police at Sehwi Asawinso and the issuance of a medical form to the complainants instructing them to take the victims to any government hospital for inspection, treatment, and endorsement.
The accused was subsequently detained and brought before the Bibiani Circuit Court on charges of three offenses, including the threats of death in violation of Section 75 of the Criminal Offences 1960 [ACT 29], defilement in violation of Section 101 of the Criminal Offences 1960 [ACT 29], and harm in violation of Section 74 of the Criminal Offences 1960 [ACT 29].
Once the court has heard the specifics of the cases, suspect Ansu has been remanded and is scheduled to appear again on Monday, May 29.
The victims are responding to treatment in the meanwhile.
International Master’s Scholarship Program IDEX in France
The Paris-Saclay University is inviting candidates to take part in its International Master’s Scholarship Program IDEX for the academic year 2023–2024 if they desire to create an academic project through doctoral-level research.
Only international students at Paris-Saclay University seeking a master’s degree may submit an application for the scholarship. The candidates must be enrolled in language classes and have lived in France for less than a year. Age 30 or younger participants will be given consideration. The prize is worth a sum of 10,000 euros, plus a travel reimbursement.
A public research university with its headquarters in Paris, France, Paris-Saclay University is rated 60th among best global universities and 69th overall in the QS World University Rankings 2023. It is one of the 13 prestigious colleges that made up the Sorbonne, which is another name for the University of Paris.
Why did you decide to attend Paris-Saclay University? Internationally famous Paris-Saclay University is known for its outstanding research output and the dedication of its academic staff. For its cutting-edge specialized courses in Science and Engineering, Life Sciences and Health, and Social Sciences and Humanities, it is a school that highly qualified foreign students favor. especially those looking to conduct doctoral-level research to advance an academic endeavor.
Application Deadline: Candidates must submit applications before 10th May 2023.
- University or Organization: Paris-Saclay University
- Department: NA
- Course Level: Masters
- Award: 10,000€
- Number of Awards: NA
- Access Mode: Online
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in France
- Eligible Countries: Foreign national students can apply.
- Eligible Course or Subjects: Students can apply for a master’s degree program
- Eligibility Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following/given criteria:
- The applicants must be enrolled in master’s studies at the Paris-Saclay University.
- The applicants must be aged 30 or less.
- The applicants must be foreigners living on French soil for less than a year, and taking language classes (type FFL).
How to Apply
- How to Apply: Students must apply for admission via the university portal. Eligible students will further be sent an application form via mail.
- Supporting Documents: The students are required to present the following documents to the university:
- A valid passport
- A marriage certificate
- Two certified copies of your birth certificate
- Proof of income delivered by tax authorities for the last two years
- All other documents required by the French Consulate of your country of residence for the visa application process
- Admission Requirements: The students must meet the entry and academic requirements of the desired master’s programme.
- Language Requirement: The students must submit scores of the following English language proficiency tests:
- TOEFL IBT – 90
- TOEFL PBT – 575
- IELTS – 6.5
The winning students can expect to receive the following advantages by Paris-Saclay University:
- Université Paris-Saclay scholarship worth 10,000€ per year paid by Université Paris-Saclay for the duration of the academic year, and for a period of 10 consecutive months (September to June).
- A maximum of 1,000€ for travel and visa expenses additionally
- Laureates can also expect travel expenses only upon arrival in France
School of Earth and Environment Undergraduate International Excellence Scholarship in the UK
At the University of Leeds, the Undergraduate International Excellence Scholarship is administered by the School of Earth and Environment. These prizes are available for the 2023–2024 academic year.
High-achieving and exceptional overseas applicants who wish to begin an undergraduate degree program at the School of Earth and Environment in the UK may apply for the scholarships. Subject to good performance, successful applicants will receive a scholarship of up to £5,000 in total, with £3,000 paid in the first year and £1,000 in successive years.
In Leeds, West Yorkshire, the United Kingdom, the University of Leeds is a renowned research-intensive university. Since its founding in 1904, it has developed into one of the most prestigious institutions in the UK, with more than 38,000 students from more than 170 countries. Some of the top research universities in the world are represented by the institute, which is consistently listed among the top 100 universities.
Why should one attend Leeds University? Leeds is a renowned university with a reputation for academic brilliance. It consistently holds a high position on lists of top universities around the world, such as those published by QS and Times Higher Education. It provides a comprehensive selection of undergraduate and graduate courses in numerous subject areas.
- University or Organization: University of Leeds
- Department: School of Earth and Environment
- Course Level: Undergraduate
- Award: Up to £5,000
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: NA
- Nationality: International
- The award can be taken in the UK
- Eligible Countries: All nationalities
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The scholarship will be awarded for an undergraduate degree in any subject offered by the university
- Environmental Science BSc
- Geology BSc
- Geophysics BSc
- Sustainability and Environmental Management BSc
- Environment and Business BA
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following criteria:
- Applicants must be international students classified as overseas for tuition fee purposes.
- Applicants must be self-funding and new to the University of Leeds, entering at Level 1.
- Applicants must have received an offer to study on an eligible undergraduate degree course within the School of Earth and Environment for the 2023/24 academic year.
- Applicants must not be in receipt of any other University of Leeds award.
- Applicants who have successfully completed the International Foundation Year (IFY) at the University of Leeds will also be considered for the scholarship.
- Applicants must achieve a yearly attainment percentage of 60% or above with all modules passed at the first attempt to receive the scholarship for subsequent years.
- The scholarship will not be awarded for the industrial placement or study abroad year.
How to Apply
- How to Apply: To apply for this scholarship program, applicants must first apply to the School of Earth and Environment undergraduate degree program at the University of Leeds. After that, applicants will be automatically considered.
- Supporting Documents: Candidates must submit the required documents, including degree certificates, academic transcripts, partial/interim transcripts, and scanned copies of any UK visa/permits they currently hold or have previously held if they are applying as international students.
- Admission Requirements: For taking admission, candidates are required to meet the academic entry requirements of the university.
- Language Requirement: Applicants whose first language is not English must meet the university’s English language requirements.
- The University of Leeds will provide a scholarship is up to £5,000 in total, with £3,000 awarded in the first year and £1,000 in subsequent years, subject to satisfactory performance.
- If the applicant fails to achieve 60% or above in a given year, the scholarship will be withheld for that year but may be reinstated if their performance recovers to 60% or above the following year.